Packing for a Day on a Kayak

A lot of people enjoy taking their kayak out on some local water for a few hours and calling it a day, which is great! For you, more adventuresome folks out there, I'm sharing my prep for a full day out on the water! Typically when I go out it's before 10am and I'm out until 4pm at the very least! It's a long day but it's so worth it and gives you enough time to explore, hike, fish, whatever it is you like to do most! 
I always pack a small back pack that will easily fit in my boat without taking up space or getting in the way plus it's easy to get to! I strongly believe that being prepared is the most important part of a day trip or longer on a kayak because, while it's a relatively safe sport, there are dangers you have to be prepared for. One of the most important things to pack or wear is a life vest, it's not pictured below but best believe I always keep one within arms reach! 

Always wear something comfortable! I do wear a bathing suit typically in the really hot months, but I always avoid wearing a nice bikini or a new one. I stick with my trusty bathing suit so I don't worry about messing it up or being uncomfortable. If it's not very hot outside, I wear yoga pants because it's easiest and most comfortable, it you get warm you can always get down to a sports bra! Shoes are another important part, some people wear shoes meant to be warn in the water which is great, I personally prefer my crocs! If it's a long trip you will probably get out at one point or another so bring shoes so you can easily get out without hurting your feet on rough terrain. 

You have to hydrate before, during and after your trip! Skip the cooler, it's heavy and you have a small space. Pack in your back pack quality over quantity snacks! You may have a tendency to just grab a lot of snacks but my favorite things to bring are The Good Bean peas and Belvita bars! Both of them are high protein, high carb but healthy snacks and will keep you full throughout the day as long as you eat a healthy breakfast before. I also bring drinks to make sure I stay hydrated, I pack a full water bottle that I keep in my bag so that it stays cool and I bring a Vitamin Water to drink first before it gets warm. 
Just as important as hydrating is bringing sunscreen! I always bring sunscreen and bug spray, always apply extra sunscreen since when you're on the water you get double the UV ray exposure from the sun coming down and then again from the reflection off of the water so you'll bake without it. I've also had sun poisoning and I'm here to tell you if you've never had it, imagine your worst hangover and combine it with the flu then add blistered sunburn and you've got sun poisoning so hydrate and apply your sunscreen constantly.

Now you've got the important stuff loaded and ready to go, prepare for the least likely with small odds and ends. Kayaking is a blast but if you're not prepared for disaster it can go bad quick. I always carry a knife, I do enjoy fishing from my kayak but I keep a knife in my bag and easy to reach for any reason even if I'm not fishing. A knife is something you might not need ever but if you needed it at any point you really needed it so better to be prepared. Have a flashlight with you, it may seem silly but I have gotten lost on a kayak and been stuck in the dark finding my way home and while I could see fairly well I wanted to be sure everyone else could see me so carrying a flash light gave me a huge sense of security. Ibuprofen is another must, I had a long trip by the ocean and on my paddle back I pulled a muscle in my arm making the last leg of my trip so difficult and painful so I took a break and popped a few ibuprofen, drank some water and allowed it time to kick in and made my trip back home much easier than I would have without!

Last but not least, bring waterproof containers. I love my bag I use to put my phone it, I'm not sure what brand it is but it locks and seals with an added air pocket on the outside so it floats if dropped in the water! I have other bags I use as well that are just simple Velcro openings that roll up and seal up most of my items that can't get wet like my flashlight and ibuprofen. Keep lots of those around, you can usually buy them in packs of more than one.

All in all, be prepared for your trip. Know where you are going, keep close track of where you are and how to get back, if you're fishing make sure you have all the correct permits and knowledge on how to do it safely for you, the fish, and the environment, and be sure you are in shape and hydrated enough for the trip! Enjoy Hippies!

Comments

  1. Great tips!!! Thanks for the read, can't wait to head out on the water more this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some really good advice, will definitely be following!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts